Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pandora to go public

Pandora Media, makers of Pandora Radio, announced on Friday that they are taking their stock public, filing an Initial Public Offering with the SEC.  As this story was only published on Friday Morning Quarterback late on Friday, there is little else in the article, and is certainly developing.

I, for one, hope that this allows Pandora to diversify their offerings.  It is probably a risky call in the current economic climate to take the stock public, but according to other sources, they have their eyes on a big sum with the sale of their stock ($100 million).  They may be currently losing money in daily operations, but have increasing advertising revenue and this should only go even higher by going public.  I think that they can increase their song database, perhaps even move into the terrestrial radio field.  While I don't think that the current Pandora Radio really qualifies as "radio," I think it's a great idea and system, and radio could use the infusion of their ideas.  We'll see how this pans out, and if it puts any pressure on the radio markets of the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment